Labels
galstaf
Spy
(0)

I love the Stash app.. however...

Love the stash concept, however what I really need is my *whole windows profile* on one computer to match up with my secondary ones. 

So if I bring up "My Documents" on computer 1 and put it in the sync, and do the same with computer 2 then the local "My Documents" on computer 1 and computer 2 will always be the same within minutes. 

Add a file on comp2 and it shows up on comp1 and vice versa. 

If the whole windows profile is syncable, then my desktop, favorites, etc etc will also be consistent across my computers. This would be a great plus for me to know I can grab either laptop and always have a local copy of all my files and a consistent windows experience. 

Could you PLEASE offer this feature? It seems like the code to do it is already done.. it is just one extra step to have folders other than one "stash" be syncable. 

My best,

Richard 

Ted_Haeger
(256)

Re: I love the Stash app.. however...

galstaf:

The scenario you describe would require both computers to be on the same version of the same operating system. Each version of Windows introduces changes to the user profile. For example, Windows 7 uses "Documents" rather than the "My Documents" name used in previous Windows versions. There is also an issue with handling things like app shortcuts. If the app is installed on one computer and not the other, one of the computer would end up with dead shortcuts. And if you installed Stash on a work machine to which IT had applied any lockdowns or constraints, you could potentially transport those constraints to your non-work computers. So, synchronizing the whole home directory could create a lot of confusion and problems. It would likely also complicate upgrading to a newer version of the operating system.

Although your suggested approach might not work, the general idea you're after makes sense. You want some of the most important personal items (book marks, preferences and files) to follow you from computer to computer--a roaming profile. We're currently tackling files in the Stash folder, but if I get what you're after, I think that over time you'll like where we go with Stash.

--Ted

Ted Haeger
Mozy Product Management
galstaf
Spy
(0)

The roaming profile would be the ultimate goal, and something only really achievable in a Domain controller environment in the Windows world.

But the general ability just to have particular folders sync up via Mozy is what I am after, as opposed to having to put files into a particular "Stash" folder.

Similar to the old windows Briefcase model, but except it actually works :smileywink: .. plus all the extra benefits of the mobile app access and so on too. 

Thanks for the quick response, Ted... you guys are on the right track for sure. I love the Mozy app!

Cheers,

Richard

Ted_Haeger
(256)

Ah, well for that, I need to refer you to the "Supporting Current Folders and Multiple Folders" thread.

Ted Haeger
Mozy Product Management
Fryer
Employee
(455)

For a "Roaming Profile" like you're saying, I kind of do that with Stash. I create all the folders in there, Docs, Music, Pictures, Downloads, etc...

Then I changed my Windows 7 Library to that folder. You could change the profile folder, but I find just changing the Library is ok and can't break anything else.

Then i just use that as my main folder for everything, and the local actual doc folders and such I only use for temp stuff or really big stuff that I don't want in the stash folder, but my main stream is all in the stash folder. Wouldn't help those with limited bandwidth, but I don't have that worry. :smileyhappy:

-
Please remember to mark the solution post and give thumbs up to helpful posts.

Mozy Premium Support
Senior Engineer

Term and conditions
http://mozy.com/terms

Latest Download
https://mozy.com/download/
JohnC2
Samurai Level 1
(80)

Windows Live Mesh will sync IE and Office settings but not the entire account profile.

BTW, I like Stash's single folder approach.  I think it keeps things simple.  When I was trying out Mesh I found it very confusing trying to keep track of what folders were syncing and what weren't.

Chrome and other browsers are also adding this kind of feature.  Store your Chrome setting in the cloud so it's the same on every computer you use.

This feature sounds like a good candidate for a "Pro" version of Stash.  Maybe when Mozy makes a version of Stash for the enterprise (like VMWare's Octopus Project) they'll include this roaming profile feature?  :smileywink: