Click to close the image preview

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Labels
Announcements
Enter to Win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
We've decided to redesign our Mozy Community and we want YOUR feedback. Run on over to our Community Feedback Giveaway and tell us what you think about our current Community, what you'd like to see from a new Community design, or anything else Community-related for a chance at a $50 gift card!

Don't miss it-the giveaway ends on 3/27!

Join Us for the March Webinar: My Backup Is Not Working, How Do I Fix That?
Have you ever wondered how to troubleshoot your backups when they're missed or stop working fully? Join us on March 29th at 9AM PST while we walk you through some basic troubleshooting and your options for fixing backup issues with Support. Register HERE.
gbill
Student
(0)
Solved (Go to Solution)

Files being removed from sync without removal being requested

I've paused Mozy Sync on my computer and now have unchecked "Start Mozy Sync at login" because I can't seem to stop it from removing files!!!

Started after I had to reinstall windows and then reinstall Mozy Home and Sync. Everything seemed OK tlll I started getting dings every few seconds from my computer. I opened Sync and found it responsible for the "ding" sounds. On further investigation I found the attached Tra sfer History Activity that includes many "File removed from sync folder" entries -- and I couldn't find the filed on either my refreshed computer or in the online sync folders.

I'll have to abandon Mozy entirely unless I can be assured that files in sync will stay there until they are deliberately removed by a user.

Benjamin_C
(104)

Re: Files being removed from sync without removal being requested

I'm sorry to hear that! When I have seen this in the past, the person deleted the Sync folder from one of the computers, which makes every file set for deletion. It's possible that when you upgraded to windows 10, the folder got 'removed' somehow, and sync saw it and thought that all the files need to be removed. 

So, this is what I want you to do. Remove all files from that folder to a folder on your desktop. Re-connect to sync. Let it zero out and think there is nothing there. After that move everything back into the sync folder (copy it if you want to be safe). From then on it should work without issue! Let us know what happens though!

Benjamin_C
~Mozy Support

PS: If a response has resolved your issue, please mark it as a solution to help the Mozy Community!
gbill
Student
(0)

UGH! Sounds more like salvage than restore. -- Anything removed is lost and only remnants after I paused/stopped Mozy Sync can be captured. Where can I find and get at the deleted sync files that are presumably retained for 30 days?

Benjamin_C
(104)

You would do a web restore, but instead of clicking on 'devices' and picking a computer, you would click on your sync folder. On the top right below your name is an icon for the 'actions pane' (looks like a sliding glass door). Click on that one and select 'include deleted files' to restore deleted files. 

http://support.mozy.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/Create-Web-Restore-MozyHome

Benjamin_C
~Mozy Support

PS: If a response has resolved your issue, please mark it as a solution to help the Mozy Community!
JaredG
(384)

@gbill

Were you able to restore you files from the Mozy web restore page?  I'm still seeing 79.7 GBs in the Mozy Sync folder on your account.  It appears as though all your data is there and has not been lost.  You may want to include deleted files if you are going to restore the data.

Please post any questions or comments

Thank you,

Jared
Mozy Support
ShawnL
Community Manager
(400)

@gbill - Thank you for using the Mozy forums! If you have any additional questions, please reply to this topic thread and our community members will be happy to assist you! In addition, I can also create a support ticket should you need additional help with your question. 

Have a great day!

Shawn L.
Community Manager
ShawnL
Community Manager
(400)

@gbill - Did you need any additional help or want a case created with support? If you need a support case created, I can certainly take care of that for you. 

Have a great day!

Shawn L.
Community Manager
gbill
Student
(0)

I've been unsuccessful in restoring the files (probably ~2/3 of my image files). I have checked the 
Include deleted files" box but have only tried downloading them all. -- I'm concerned that if I simply restart sync, it will continue sucking from my computer rather than copying the deleted files to my computer. I've seen nothing written that simply including the deleted files in the on-line sync folder will cause the files to be restored the way they were. There seems to be no clearly defined undelete process.

I did try simply downloading the sync folder to my computer with include deleted checked. That fails because I've been on travel and in a motel with VERY poor internet. It just terminates long downloads after less than a gig. I probably won't have a dependable internet till I get home in a little over a month. I'd really appreciate Mozy retaining the deleted files for at least 2 months so I can get them all reclaimed.

Sync could really use an "archive" flag to mark files for retention until the originator or Mozy account owner un-flags it. Users, then, would use a copy of the archived file instead of the original for their changes (and the changed file could be placed in their  Mozy sync folder for sharing) -- Increasing Mozy revenue with increased account storage to accommodate the new copies.

Bill

JaredG
(384)

@gbill

If the files you need are deleted then downloading the files manually from the website while including deleted files is the only way to restore them at this point.  

However if the files are available without including deleted files then you may open the Mozy Sync settings / preferences and click on the "unlink computer" then move any data out of the existing Sync folder so the Sync folder is empty.

Then link the computer using the "link computer" option in the settings and enter your username and password to link again.

This will start downloading all the data in the Sync container in the cloud back to the Sync folder.

Like I mentioned before this only works for files that have not been deleted and are currently available without including deleted files.

I hope this is helpful, also so you may post any ideas on the Idea Exchange board here:

http://community.mozy.com/t5/Idea-Exchange/idb-p/SupportSuggestionBox

Please post any questions or comments.

Thank you,

Jared
Mozy Support
AngelinaS
(194)

@gbill  I am following up with you about your Sync restore.  This link explains the restore process:  http://support.mozy.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/Restore-deleted-sync-files  

As you know, Sync keeps files up-to-date in real time.  Yes it still has the same 30 day retention period for deleted files as a backup has; however, you can only restore them individually.  The reason why these files started being removed can come from any one of the computers you have linked to the Sync account.  This could be caused by the file being deleted from the Sync folder, or moved to a new folder location.  

Since you are away from your primary network, I recommend selecting what you need to restore in small groups (less than 1GB in size total) to download at a time.  You can save the restored files into it's own folder for re-organization later.  I know this will take some time but is the best option with the network connections you have available while away.  

So more files are not marked for removal, I recommend unlinking this computer from the Sync software until you return.  Then you can contact technical support for assistance with resolving the syncing issue then.

If this helped you, please like the response given and press Accept as Solution.

Thank you,

Angie