Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Labels
JohnC2
Samurai Level 1
(80)
Solved (Go to Solution)

Android Auto Photo Upload

Android auto photo upload didn't seem to work for me tonight.  This is the first time I have tried it.  I've had the app installed for several days and the auto photo setting has always been turned on.  I just hadn't taken any photos yet.  Tonight was took 3 photos and waited for them to upload, but they never uploaded.

I have the phone configured to upload Photos, but not Videos.  I also had it set to upload only on WiFi.  I'm at home on WiFi and I took 3 pictures, waited a few minutes for them to upload but they never uploaded.  Then I selected multiple pictures (including these 3 new pictures) in my photo gallery and "shared" them with "Mozy" and they all uploaded just fine.  Not sure why the auto upload didn't work.

I didn't have a "Mobile Sync" folder in my Stash folder, but the manual upload process created it.

I can try this on the next version when it comes out and let you know what happens. 

My phone info is:

Motorola Photon 4G - Sprint
System Version: 45.3.6.MB855.Sprint.en.US
Model Number: MB855
Android Version: 2.3.4
Kernel Version: 2.6.32.9
dnt648@fl36bld22 #2

Build Number: 4.5.1A-1_SUN-198_6

Ted_Haeger
(256)
Solution

Re: Android Auto Photo Upload

Hey, JohnC2:

Thanks for another thorough look into a feature. I'm familiar with the issue you identify with auto-upload. It's not as reliable as it needs to be. Our lead developer for Android implemented as a proof of concept, and ever since then he's been on my case to prioritize it higher so that he can re-visit it and make it work as he envisions it should. So, it's kind of my fault that I keep putting higher priority on other things (many of which relate to the Mozy infrastructure that supports the app rather than the app itself).

I expect that the upcoiming release won't improve auto-upload much, if at all. (Although the team sometimes sneaks in some improvements just to keep me on my toes.) But the release after that might. Stay tuned for it.

--Ted

Ted Haeger
Mozy Product Management
JohnC2
Samurai Level 1
(80)

Ted_Haeger wrote:
Our lead developer for Android implemented as a proof of concept, and ever since then he's been on my case to prioritize it higher so that he can re-visit it and make it work as he envisions it should.

:smileyvery-happy:  I laughed out loud when I read this.

It's very frustrating when a project manager won't let us devote time to a cool feature, one we're passionate about & think is valuable and would like to implement right now.  :smileywink:

I figured it was something like this, but wanted to offer any info I could to help you make it work better.  Just let me know if there is any info on the phone you'd like me to gatherup and send to you.

Ted_Haeger
(256)

Thanks, John. At the moment, I think Michael (the aforementioned developer) has a pretty solid idea of how he wants it to work. Once he gets to it (or, once we clear away all the other stuff we keep putting in front of him), and we get the updated workflow out, we'll both be really interested to hear your thoughts on its behavior and how it could be improved.

And I'm a product manager, not a program manager! :smileyhappy: (Things would be pretty miserable around Mozy if I were in charge of keeping our programs in order.)

Thanks for always going the distance for us,

Ted

Ted Haeger
Mozy Product Management
JohnC2
Samurai Level 1
(80)

Just kind of poking around in the Mozy app today and the picture I took automatically uploaded.

spikeyo
Cook
(0)

Hi Ted,

Any update on when this might get to the top of the developer's pile?

I wasn't up on these blogs and had assumed it was working, to my regret when the SD card in my phone failed.

Kind Regards,

gino

Ted_Haeger
(256)

gino:

We overhauled the auto-uploader in the latest release (v1.4.x). Please let us know whether it's working properly now.

--Ted

Ted Haeger
Mozy Product Management
spikeyo
Cook
(0)

Thanks Ted.

Unfortunately, it still does not appear to be working for me.  I am expecting to see a folder in my stash directory with the photos and not seeing them there.

Using a Galaxy Nexus phone on Verizon, Android 4.1.1

mozy settings are Automatica Photo Upload and Video Upload are selected.  Only on wifi is not selected.

Ted_Haeger
(256)

Gino:

The folder would be called "Mobile Uploads." However, I think there would also be some Mozy notifications in the Android notification center.

I spoke to our lead developer for Android. He suggests that we have you force-quit the Mozy app, and then re-start it. If that does not fix the problem, then we will need to debug the app on your specific device model. (That might take us some time to get one and debug the issue.) 

Unless it's different on the Galaxy Nexus, you can force-quit the app through the device's Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Running (tab) > tap Mozy > Force Stop.

Let me know your results!

--Ted

Ted Haeger
Mozy Product Management