Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ted_Haeger
(256)
Solved (Go to Solution)

FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions for the Mozy app for iOS

Features

Does the Mozy mobile app back up the data on my iPhone (or other iOS device)?

No. However, you can do so with iTunes. For more information, see "How To: Backup for Your iOS Device (iPhone, iPad & iPod Touch)"

Does the mobile app support private key encryption?

No. If you opted to encrypt your backup files with your own private key, the mobile app will not be able to decrypt them for viewing within the app. Mobile support for private-key encryption is not planned for the near term.

Technical Details

Does the mobile app put all my backup files onto my device's local storage?

No. The mobile app access your files by securely communicating with the Mozy data center that stores your backup files. When you view the contents of a folder, the app retrieves just the list of file and folder names for that folder. The app will also download thumbnail previews for photos. The only downloads a whole file when you explicitly tell it to, such as by selecting a file to view.

Why don't files sort in alphabetical order?

Currently, files and folder lists in the app list are sorted a bit unintuitively. Instead or sorting alphabetically, they sort according to ASCII character values. That means that file starting with a capital 'C' will list before a file starting with lower-case 'a'. The issue is a result of how the Mozy data center provides file lists to the app. We're working on a fix, but it isn't in v1.0.

Why do only some of my music or video files play in the mobile app? (About DRM media)

Many file formats, such as AAC and mp4 are encoded using Digital Rights Management, or DRM. 

DRM-encumbered files cannot be read without the specific DRM key, which varies between applications, users and service providers. Consequently, the Mozy app for mobiles cannot play such files at this time.

MozyPro

Why doesn't the app work with MozyPro?

When Mozy introduces new features, we often start with MozyHome. This allows us to introduce the new feature earlier and get feedback from end-users. Many of the early adopters are MozyPro administrators and value-added resellers who test using their MozyHome accounts. Through their use of the end-user feature, these IT professionals can examine the new feature directly and assess how it will affect their businesses when it gets added to MozyPro. The feedback we get from this audience provides us with insights that are essential for providing the administration controls necessary before adding the feature to MozyPro. 

When will the the mobile app work with MozyPro?

We're targeting mobile to release to MozyPro in the 2nd quarter of 2011. The administrative control at that time will likely be very simple at first (a single setting to allow users to use the app or not).

Ted Haeger
Mozy Product Management

Re: FAQ

Hey there Ted,

I have the Mozy app installed on my iPhone 4 (running iOS 4.3.1), and while you mention "private key encryption" support not being allowed, I noticed that I was still able to browse my full backed up directory listing (including files), although I'm unable to view any file, despite having encryption enabled. I have a custom key (not the default Mozy private key), so I'm wondering how or why this is even possible/happening. I get all the warnings about not being able to view files because of the encryption, but  seeing  the directory listing seems odd to me, especially since I thought all encryption was handled client-side. 

Any thoughts or clarifications would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

Ted_Haeger
(256)

Hey, Ian:

Your files are safely encrypted in the Mozy cloud. What you're seeing is the difference between file data and metadata (or, the data about your data). On your account, we store metadata separately from the actual data inside each file so that you can see the file heirarchy and browse through it to any individual file. However, if you use the app to retreive the contents of a file that is encrypted with your personal key, Mozy cannot decrypt it on the server (because we don't have your key).

Does that make sense?

--Ted

P.S. (Addendum) Naturally, all communication between the mobile app and Mozy is encrypted over HTTPS.

Ted Haeger
Mozy Product Management

Ted,

Thanks ever so much for clearing that up, as that makes perfect sense!

Prady
Cook
(0)

Hi There,

I can not download the app on my iphone because it seems that app is restricted only for USA based users.

I am in Australia.

How can I download the app?

Thanks

kenreecha
Warrior
(0)
Solution

While I probably got a little too excited about the potential of the app and glossing over the details.  I was saddened when I saw that I wasn't able to use my private key encryption.  I see that it hasn't been completely not thought of and I hope it comes sooner rather than later.  I really don't want to have to start over backing up all my data again to use this app so will wait patiently for now.  Good work though and look forward to an update :smileywink:

Fryer
(506)

Prady; if you haven't already found out, the app is currently only US and Canda home users. We're working on getting it available world wide as well as pro users.

-
Please remember to mark the solution post and give thumbs up to helpful posts.

Mozy Premium Support
Senior Engineer

Term and conditions
http://mozy.com/terms

Latest Download
https://mozy.com/download/
Fryer
(506)

Kenreecha

Sorry, marked your post as solution when I went to reply. :smileysad:

We are working on encryption support, but that will come after international and pro avaliblity.

-
Please remember to mark the solution post and give thumbs up to helpful posts.

Mozy Premium Support
Senior Engineer

Term and conditions
http://mozy.com/terms

Latest Download
https://mozy.com/download/
Ed_S
Cook
(0)

Re: FAQ (iPhone App - encryption key)

Any updated on availability of this support?

Fryer wrote:

Kenreecha

Sorry, marked your post as solution when I went to reply. :smileysad:

We are working on encryption support, but that will come after international and pro avaliblity.

ryanw
Employee
(248)

Re: FAQ (iPhone App - encryption key)

We've been moving along with our mobile plans and have rolled out the app to our Pro customers and many of our international users. While I can't give a specific date, custom encryption has crept up the priority list. We hope to have this released soon. We'll keep you posted.