Click to close the image preview

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Labels
Announcements
New from the Blog: Take a Tour of the Mozy Admin Console
Take a tour of the Mozy Admin Console in Part 1, Part 2: Users & Machines, Part 3: SubPartners & SubAdmins, Part 4: Resources and Billing, and the most recent installment, Part 5: Graphs & Reports.

Looking for Support?
Create a new post with your question and our community members and moderators will be happy to help answer it for you! Don't forget to register!
Chasim
Student
(0)
Solved (Go to Solution)

Does app save/cache unencrypted files?

I use a personal encryption key which I must enter into the app to view files.  Once I do so and then view the files, are the files saved to my iPhone and/or cached unencrypted?

Thanks.

Techalder
(254)

Re: Does app save/cache unencrypted files?

Here is the actual KB Article that I was able to find for you on this...

Cannot Open Encrypted Files with Mozy Mobile App

Article ID: 000004259

Date: 02/21/2014

Issue

The following message occurs when attempting to view files using the mobile app.

Encrypted Computer. This computer's backup data is encrypted with a personal key. Encrypted files cannot be viewed or downloaded on your phone.

Resolution

Custom encryption keys are supported by the Mozy Mobile App from version 1.2 and newer.

To update your Mozy Mobile, open the App Store on your iOS device, Google Play Store on your Android device, or Amazon Appstore on your Kindle Fire and check for updates. Download the latest version of the Mozy Mobile App available.

Hope this is helpful

Tech  :-)

zachm
Admin Emeritus
(387)

It sounded more to me like the files open fine, @Chasim just wants to know if the unencrypted file is saved to their device. Chasim can you clarify for us?

Zach M.
Community Manager
Chasim
Student
(0)

zachm is correct.  I am not having any issue with the app working.  My question is once I have logged into the app, set a PIN, provided my Personal Encryption Key, viewed a file, and then exited the app (without logging out), what happens to that file?  And, specifically, is an unencrypted version saved on my iPhone or otherwise cached?

Thanks.

zachm
Admin Emeritus
(387)

Thanks for getting back to us. I think @Techalder is gone for now. Let me see if I can get a different agent to follow up with us.

Zach M.
Community Manager
carlco
(159)

Chasim,

That is a very good question. I apologize that I do not have an answer for you right this second. However, we will test this and get back to you as soon as we can.

Thank you,

Carl Cochran
Mozy L2 Support Engineer
carlco
(159)

Chasim,

Once you are logged in to the Mozy app and open a file then the key is saved until you log out of the Mozy app. If you open a file (document or music file etc) with an app on you phone that saves the file (Pages, etc.) then it will be on your phone in an unencrypted format. I hope this information helps.

Thank you,

Carl Cochran
Mozy L2 Support Engineer
Chasim
Student
(0)

Thank you for the reply, but just to make sure that I understand...

If I open a file in the app and then view it with the app's built-in viewer, then exit the app (but not log out), an unencrypted version of the file does remain?  If so, the only way to ensure that there are no unencrypted versions on my phone is to completely log out of the app, right?  (This conclusion obviously assumes that the file has not been used and saved by another app.)

carlco
(159)
Solution

Chasim,

There is an ability to delete the key without logging out, however, if you have not logged out, or deleted the key then files can be viewed through the Mozy app without re entering the key. It is not that the file is cahced it is just the key is already entered unless you have logged out or deleted the key.

Thank you,

Carl Cochran
Mozy L2 Support Engineer