Click to close the image preview

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements
Enter to Win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
We've decided to redesign our Mozy Community and we want YOUR feedback. Run on over to our Community Feedback Giveaway and tell us what you think about our current Community, what you'd like to see from a new Community design, or anything else Community-related for a chance at a $50 gift card!

Don't miss it-the giveaway ends on 3/27!

Join Us for the March Webinar: My Backup Is Not Working, How Do I Fix That?
Have you ever wondered how to troubleshoot your backups when they're missed or stop working fully? Join us on March 29th at 9AM PST while we walk you through some basic troubleshooting and your options for fixing backup issues with Support. Register HERE.
Omicron
Villager

(2)

Being Discussed

When restoring files, allow the user to choose what happens in a conflict to existing files

When restoring files, allow the user to choose whether existing files are:

Overwritten no matter what,
Overwritten only if the one that already exists is older,
Added as a new file with a digit added after it.

Currently, existing files are always overwritten without any warning.

That is NOT user friendly.

Tech support said currently the only solution is to restore files to a second location and manually merge them.

That is a very poor, inefficient solution.

Comments
angelag
Community Manager

(524)

Hello @Omicron,

I wanted to reach out to you for a little further clarification and understanding on your idea. As it stands right now, both the web restore and the in-client restores allow you to choose whether or not to overwrite the file, it does not overwrite by default.

OverwriteFilesWebRestore.PNG

With the Web Restore, if you check the box for Overwrite existing files it will choose to overwrite any files that are the same. If you do not check that box, it will rename the files (by adding a character) so that both the old and new are saved.

OverwriteFilesClientRestore.PNG

In the In-Client Restore, you have radial buttons at the bottom where you can select either Overwrite existing files or Rename copy if original file exists. Whichever you select there is what will occur when you run the restore.

As for your request, do those not fit your needs or just not know about them? Or are you just hoping for some added functionality? We'd love a little clarification to know where to better point your recommendation.

Thanks so much!

ShawnL
Community Manager

(396)

Status changed to: Need More Information

AllanH

(203)

Definitely need more information since as @angelag demonstrated, there is no 'Overwrite' option enabled by default.

Omicron
Villager

(2)

I spent time clarifying an answer yesterday, but it was a waste of time because of a bug in your website. Here is the bug:

1. I clicked on the link in the email  from Community Mailer
  2. this page was displayed showing your update
  3. I typed an answer
  4. I clicked Post Your Command
  5. The login page displayed
  6. I logged in
  7. A general Mozy page appeared.

My answer disappeared into the bit bucket. It should have been conserved after login.

Omicron
Villager

(2)

I tried it again just now. This time a new error occurred. When I clicked “Return to my original page”, it displayed the community page. My entry was gone.

Error Page

Flooding Detected

Please wait a few seconds and try again

• message : There was an error while attempting to post your message. Try again in a few minutes.

This time the message dated **Removed**:02 PM was posted.

Why did the error occur?

Anyway, what I was trying to post yesterday was this:

My recommendation is to split the Overwrite option into two options:

1. Always Overwrite
  2. Overwrite only if the Mozy file was modified later than the one already on the hard drive

Also, it would be great if the font size of the choices were a little larger.

Thanks.

ShawnL
Community Manager

(396)

@Omicron - Thanks for clarifying!

ShawnL
Community Manager

(396)

Status changed to: Being Discussed