Click to close the image preview

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements
The Mozy Blog: Windows 10, FilterError0, and Digitally Signed Driver Errors
A new update has been released for the Windows client that resolves some issues users were experiencing with Windows 10. Check out the latest blog for details!

April's Webinar: Protecting Your Data From Attack
In case you missed it, April's webinar has been posted!

Looking for support?
Create a new post with your question and our community members and moderators will be happy to help answer it for you!
DIS-SJ
Spy

(5)

Being Discussed

System State and AD restore

Hi

This is part FR part support I think...

I've not managed to find anything about this in the guides/application. I am looking to do System State and AD State backups - I spoke to Live Chat and advised these aren't implemented. 

Ideally we would  be able to do a System State + AD backup on the servers, however I know of some legacy systems that would benefit from this feature as well - especially should the worst happen. (Windows XP/2003 systems running some back end processing for example) 

I've seen a post which mentioned it is possible to do, but its not quite a System State backup - albeit close enough to do a system restore. How would you do a complete system restore? Make a spare HDD bootable and restore to it? 

Normally I'd try play with it till it works but I don't have a spare machine, or resources for a spare VM to test with.

Many thanks

Comments
JaredG

(418)

@DIS-SJ

It sounds like you would like to have some pre-configured backup sets in the Mozy settings that would allow you to directly backup the system state and AD.

However we do not have any default backups sets for backing up the system state and or AD directly but most servers should have tools that will create a backup folder that is written to by Windows on set schedule with all of the system state data that you can then select for back in the Mozy settings. 

ShawnL
Community Manager

(449)

Status changed to: Being Discussed

ShawnL
Community Manager

(449)

@DIS-SJ - Thank you for all your suggestions!

DIS-SJ
Spy

(5)

Spot on Smiley Happy. I know there are workarounds with other tools but Backup Exec, acronis, etc... all show the active system state as an additional option within the app, I guess I was just looking for the best possible image. I understand that there are major differences between on site and cloud backup options and system state may not fall within the remit of cloud backup but it is a useful feature to discuss when comparing up against the competitors Smiley Happy

@JaredG nail on the head though Smiley Happy.

PTNubs

(275)

@DIS-SJ

Currently, the Active Directory backup set is designed to utilize the VSS writer for AD to capture a snapshot of the AD to back it up. However, that VSS snapshot is only restorable through the VSS writer, using a Mozy Restore.

For that reason, when restoring AD through the VSS, there are certain prerequisites needed to be met in order to have a successful restore. Some of these requirements include the same version and patch level of Windows, the same hardware profile, same admin name and password, etc... Basically, a disaster recovery to the same physical machine.

Reason for these requirements is that if they are not exactly the same as the snapshot that was backed up, you will Blue Screen the server. The VSS is part of Windows and it's a limitation that Microsoft has put in place.

As for the system state backup set you noted, it is only used to facilitate a Mozy VSS Restore of the Active Directory.

It is not a full, true system state.

However, if you are wanting to create a full system state backup, you are correct. You can use another utility, like Windows NT Backup, to create the system state backup, then utilize Mozy to backup the backup file to the cloud.

I hope this help to clarify the purpose of the AD and system state backup set.

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Sincerely,

Peter M
Mozy Support

DIS-SJ
Spy

(5)

@PTNubs So really for VMs where you can guarantee the "hardware" it is a pretty good solution? Even as a cut down System State?

PTNubs

(275)

@DIS-SJ

A virtualized AD machine is a perfect example of where the VSS Backup Set for AD and System State would be hugely beneficial. Since you can control the hardware profile, as long as you keep the other prerequisites, then you could do a VSS restore of the AD in a disaster recovery scenario.

But like I said, our system state backup set is very particular to ONLY the items that facilitate our restore functionality.

In a physical box, where you have less finite control of the hardware profile, it can still be used successfully, but only if the prerequisites can be met 100%.