Click to close the image preview

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements
Latest from the Blog: Leadership in Small Business 101, Part 3: How to Plan and Execute for Growth
If you are a small business owner, you know that not only is growth is important, but being prepared to keep up with that growth is really important as well. Learn more about planning for growth, and executing strategies...

Looking for Support?
Create a new post with your question and our community members and moderators will be happy to help answer it for you!
Anan
Warrior

(5)

Unspecified

Please Fix Mozy So It Can Continue Backup Absent Display

I've mentioned this before, but the devs don't seem to appreciate the problem, so I'll try again. Under most versions of Windows, if an app insists on updating the VDT, the app crashes when the VDT shuts down. That means we either have to minimize the Mozy display or leave the VDT running until Mozy has finished. It's time to fix this! The best fix would be for Mozy to notice when the VDT is shutting down and STOP UPDATING THE DISPLAY THAT ISN'T THERE ANY MORE.

Comments
angelag
Community Manager

(1240)

HI @Anan,

Can you clarify what you mean specifically by VDT?

ShawnL
Community Manager

(628)

Status changed to: Need More Information

Anan
Warrior

(5)

Sorry if I sounded out of sorts... been struggling with a variety of computer problems the past week and this was one more.

Windows will "turn off the display" after a user-defined interval to save power and extend equipment life. If I have a long backup to run, I'd prefer to have the video off. Unfortunately, Mozy won't run with the video off unless you minimize it, because it insists on updating the display and freezes when it can't do that. Minimizing it is not intuitive because you have to push the "X" button in the upper right corner, which almost always means "close this program".

What I'm suggesting is to find a way to anticipate when the video will turn off and stop trying to update the display, or at least have a way to bypass that subroutine when it isn't working. Secondary suggestion would be to use the same meaning for the "X" button as most other developers and put a "-" button up there for minimizing the window. Current situation is sub-optimal for anybody who runs long backups while the computer is not in use.

angelag
Community Manager

(1240)

@Anan,

If you are talking about the standard sleep mode/standby settings, the monitor/display itself can be set to sleep/standby, but the machine can't. Or are you talking about disabling more than just letting the monitor sleep? Do you turn off your graphics entirely?

ShawnL
Community Manager

(628)

Anan
Warrior

(5)

Control Panel\System and Security\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings

Turn off display = 30 min

Put the computer to sleep = 1 hour

With these settings, Mozy crashes after 30 minutes every time.

angelag
Community Manager

(1240)

@Anan,

Putting the computer to sleep could cause the backup to fail, because the computer needs to be awake and active for the program to run, but the display should have no effect on it. If the program is actually crashing and not just stopping the backup when the machine goes to sleep, there's definitely an issue with your installation and we'd need to get log files and look into it further.

I've gone ahead and sent you an email from our case system requesting your logs so I can take a look at them.

ShawnL
Community Manager

(628)

@Anan - Did you need any additional help with this?

ShawnL
Community Manager

(628)

Anan
Warrior

(5)

I sent a copy of the log but it wasn't received. It won't let me copy from the interface. I took a screenshot but couldn't find a way to upload it with this interface. The log file clearly shows that Mozy is "Paused by user" when the screen goes dark. The computer is not being slept or turned off, just the display. This is a consistent observation over more than a year with several updates to the software, which is now version 2.32.8.595. This problem is common to applications that have an updating screen display for Win 7 Pro, even those written by MS. The usual cure is to minimize the app when one steps away from the desk. The Mozy interface doesn't show a normal Windows "minimize" button, just a red "X" which would shut down a normal application but minimizes Mozy.

I've spend entirely too much time trying to help you understand your problem, including typing a prior version of this post which was lost because it wanted me to sign in after I typed it and then lost my entire post after the sign in. I won't answer further queries.

ShawnL
Community Manager

(628)