Click to close the image preview

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements
Community Feedback Contest Winners Announced!
The Winners from the Mozy Community Feedback Contest have been announced! Did you win? See who won a $50 Amazon Gift Card on the blog today...

Join Us for the March Webinar: My Backup Is Not Working, How Do I Fix That?
Have you ever wondered how to troubleshoot your backups when they're missed or stop working fully? Join us on March 29th at 9AM PST while we walk you through some basic troubleshooting and your options for fixing backup issues with Support. Register HERE.
DIS-SJ
Spy

(5)

Implemented

Network Shares

Hi

I am running Mozy Pro and trying it out for several deployment types. One thing I have noticed is within a desktop environment you cannot back up network shares. Presumably this is because you would usually back this up from the server itself rather than moving across a network to an edge device? 

One of the things I've wanted to test is backing up files from a NAS. I am unable to connect to the share within mozy, however windows shows the drives fine.

The only workaround I can think of (not even sure if this would work actually) is use VSS to take an image of the NAS folder I want backing up - store this on my HDD somewhere and then upload that file. However believe this would result in large uploads...?

One solution was discussed under http://community.mozy.com/t5/Idea-Exchange/Better-integration-with-local-NAS/idi-p/82703 but I am not asking for NAS app integration per-se, just the ability to access via Mozy

Many thanks

Comments
JaredG

(384)

@DIS-SJ

Only Mozypro, MozyEnterprise, and Mozy Resellers running a server license can backup NAS drives or network shares.  

If you are on our legacy plans where you pay per GB then you may purchase a server license and server storage on your account under the "Change Plan" link under the "Resources" section in the admin console.   Then you must create a new server user and password to authenticate the desktop.  

Or if you are on our bundled plans then under the "Change Plan" link under the "Resources" section in the admin console on the same page you must enable server licensing on the account and then create a server user and password where you will be able to select a NAS or network share in the "File System" tab  in the Mozy settings.

You may install a Mozy server licence on a desktop computer but you can't install a desktop license on a server.

Only servers can backup NAS drives or network shares or a desktop computer backing up on a sever license.

ShawnL
Community Manager

(400)

Status changed to: Implemented

ShawnL
Community Manager

(400)

@DIS-SJ - Thank you for all your suggestions!

DIS-SJ
Spy

(5)

Ah, does a server license have to be run on a server OS? Or can I issue a server license to a Windows 7 machine for example?

PTNubs

(275)

@DIS-SJ

A server license does not HAVE to be ran on a Server OS.

Windows 7 will work just fine with a server device.

However, the reverse will not work. i.e. a Desktop license on a server OS will not work.

DIS-SJ
Spy

(5)

@PTNubs Thank you  Smiley Happy

ShawnL
Community Manager

(400)

@DIS-SJ - Please let us know if you have any other questions or ideas. Really great input!