Click to close the image preview

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements
Latest from the Blog: Mozy Reseller Bites Ransomware with Mozy Backup and Restore
Check out how a pet store used Mozy to recover from a ransomware attack.

Looking for Support?
Create a new post with your question and our community members and moderators will be happy to help answer it for you!

Being Discussed

Flag files to protect against ransomware

Would it be possible to allow the user to select files that are not likely to change and then have Mozy check those files before beginning a backup? When the files are found to have changed, the backup is suspended until the user either enters his/her password or a code send to the email account to verify that all is ok. The files can be either already existing files or files that the user creates with a special name to remind him/her that those are the flagged files. Any number of files could be chosen and placed within the folders marked for backup.

Comments
JaredG

(755)

This idea is new to me, however I'm curious to why this is desirable or something that's needed.

If Mozy backups of an existing file with changes that have been made to it then Mozy uploads only the changed information and then you have 60 days (for Mozypro customers) and or 30 days (for Mozyhome customers) to recover the original file or depending on the accounts retention policy.

I bring this up to suggest how the Mozy backup history works with changed files since it appears that you're concerned about uploading changed information to the backup.

So every time Mozy backups you can restore your data exactly the way it looked on any particular day within you retention policy.

Here is a link to our retention policy for customer running version of Mozy 2.32.6 or newer.

Anyone running version of Mozy 2.32.4 or older will have the retention policy I mentioned above.

Please post any questions or comments.

Thank you,

Jared

Mozy Support

ShawnL
Community Manager

(628)

Status changed to: Need More Information

I understand that with the backup retention there is a good chance that things can be managed already. However, I am sure I would, and perhaps others as well, feel safer knowing that any corruption will not in any way affect my Mozy backups. In the end, the whole purpose of this exercise is peace-of-mind. So, if I have to worry about corrupted files being uploaded and overwriting my original files, I will not feel reassured at all. I want to be able to just simply restore my files straight out without a seconds worth of researching which of my backups remained uncorrupted. It would be great to know that there is an additional layer of protection safeguarding my files from 'internal' threats and that Mozy is watching out for me.

ShawnL
Community Manager

(628)

@hamacherk - Thanks for the additional explanation. We will certainly bring this up with our development team. Any updates will be posted in the comments below. 

Thank you for using the Idea Exchange!

ShawnL
Community Manager

(628)

Status changed to: Being Discussed

ShawnL
Community Manager

(628)

Status changed to: Being Discussed