Click to close the image preview

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements
New from the Blog: Tour of your MozyHome Account
Join us for Part 1 and 2 in our series where we provide a detailed tour of the MozyHome account settings.

May's Webinar: How long does my data stay on Mozy servers?
This months webinar on 05/31 will look at the recent changes to the Mozy retention policies which gives users access to older versions of files for longer. Register today!

Looking for Support?
Create a new post with your question and our community members and moderators will be happy to help answer it for you!
Ananisapta
Warrior

(5)

Being Discussed

Display Options

Currently if I start Mozy manually, it puts up a window that remains throughout the backup sequence and there's no way to minimize it without halting the backup. This is inconvenient because if I walk away while the backup continues, the display shuts down after thirty minutes, and that shuts down the backup. I've seen this with other apps under Windows: if there's an updating display on the screen, the app shuts down when the screen does. I would like the option to minimize the display, which would allow Mozy to continue backing up even after the display shuts down.

Comments
zachm
Admin Emeritus

(402)

Hi @Ananisapta Could you attach a screen shot of the app? Everything I have seen has the option to minimize. Would be interested to better understand your experience. Thanks!

zachm
Admin Emeritus

(402)

Status changed to: Need More Information

Ananisapta
Warrior

(5)

Pop-up

zachm
Admin Emeritus

(402)

Let me get a support agent involved. This is going to be a support issue not an Idea issue. Clicking the X only closes the little window you see there but it should not put any freeze on the backup. Sit tight while I find you some help.

zachm
Admin Emeritus

(402)

I talked to support agent and here is what I got. Click here: http://support.mozy.com/articles/en_US/Solution/Start-Backup-button-is-grayed-out

It appears the windows service for Mozy client has actually stopped. The link above will help you get it started. Then open your antivirus software and make sure Mozy is added as an exception. Here is what they wrote:

"Then have them add mozyhomebackup.exe Mozyhomestat.exe mozyhomeutil.exe and mozyhomeconf.exe as an exception
They should be located at C:\Programfiles\Mozyhome\
Something is stopping the service so those are the most likely culprits"
zachm
Admin Emeritus

(402)

@Ananisapta Did you get a chance to try those fixes?

Ananisapta
Warrior

(5)

Thanks for attempting to help, but I must not have clearly explained the problem. The 'active window' normally has three buttons in the upper right corner. The 'X' button always closes the application. The '-' button always minimizes to the Taskbar. The button that displays one or two rectangles allows one to resize the window. The window that MozyHome puts up when I start a backup manually has only one button: the 'X' button that closes the application.

Because this is an auto-updating window that shows the progress of the application, the application freezes when the display turns off under power-saving rules. This may not be a problem for most MozyHome users because their backups are running in the background or take less time to run than their display is active. It is a problem for users like me who may back up as much as 50 GB but don't choose to leave the display running all day and night. This is normal Windows behavior; it has nothing to do with my antivirus software or any other peculiarity of my system.

My suggestion is for the developers to conform to normal Windows practice and include a 'Minimize' button that will allow me to continue backing up after the display shuts down.

Benjamin_C

(120)

So I did a bunch of testing on this issue in a Windows environment, and found out the following: When you press the 'x' on the Mozy Status window, it doesn't stop the backup and close the status, but instead minimizes the Status Window to the taskbar. 

I then started a 27 GB backup, and had my computer turn off the display in the middle of the backup. After a few minutes of the display off, I went and checked the backup, and it was still progressing just fine. 

If the backup is pausing, it means you have the power setting set to either sleep or hibernate, rather than just having the screen turn off. Sleep mode or Hibernate mode will Always kill the Mozy backup. 

I hope this information helps!

Ananisapta
Warrior

(5)

Thanks for your efforts on this. I was able to verify that you are correct. It had never occurred to me that there is a Windows application you can 'X out of' without it killing the app, that the 'X' button does what '-' does everywhere else.

To avoid confusion, the devs should use the same symbols for the same functions as every other Windows application.

AllanH

(203)

@Ananisapta

Great feedback, thanks!

ShawnL
Community Manager

(455)

Status changed to: Being Discussed