Click to close the image preview

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements
Enter to Win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
We've decided to redesign our Mozy Community and we want YOUR feedback. Run on over to our Community Feedback Giveaway and tell us what you think about our current Community, what you'd like to see from a new Community design, or anything else Community-related for a chance at a $50 gift card!

Don't miss it-the giveaway ends on 3/27!

Join Us for the March Webinar: My Backup Is Not Working, How Do I Fix That?
Have you ever wondered how to troubleshoot your backups when they're missed or stop working fully? Join us on March 29th at 9AM PST while we walk you through some basic troubleshooting and your options for fixing backup issues with Support. Register HERE.
pmaehr
Spy
(5)
Solved (Go to Solution)

Deleting a computer and keeping the files

Is there a way to delete a computer from my MozyHome account but still keep the files backed up from it? I am moving to a new computer and do not want to slow it down with all of my old files but would still like to be able to access the files when needed.

username...

Master Level 1
(2981)
Solution

Re: Deleting a computer and keeping the files

pmaehr wrote:

Is there a way to delete a computer from my MozyHome account but still keep the files backed up from it? I am moving to a new computer and do not want to slow it down with all of my old files but would still like to be able to access the files when needed.

Files can slow down things like certain types of antivirus scans* and maybe disk defragmentation, but files are not going to slow down how fast the CPU can do math. (Math being needed in almost any application that you run.) Files are not going to make websites load slower. So, store as many files as you want on your new computer; you will never notice a slowdown due to files.

* but that slowdown should only happen once.

To answer your Mozy question:

When you delete a computer from your account, the files that were backed up from that computer will eventually be deleted from Mozy's servers. If you have room on your account, you can add the new computer without deleting the old computer - then your files from the old computer would be available for download for as long as the account is paid up. (For free accounts, the files from an old computer will stay around as long as the account is being used to backup at least one computer every 30 days.)

In my opinion, Mozy should not limit the number of computers on an account... or, the limit should be high (maybe 256 computers). Why should Mozy care how many computers are on each account? They get paid for storage space. Where the files come from should not matter. The more computers on an account, the more likely it will be that one or more computer will need more online storage space. That would mean more money for Mozy.

remymozy
(80)

@pmaehr

There is not a way to delete the computer from your MozyHome account and still keep the files. If you delete the computer from the account there is a very small window where we can help get the files back, after that they are removed with the deleted machine. If you would like to keep the files in the account, you would want to add the new machine onto your account as a new machine when setting up Mozy on the new machine. You can add machines to your plan using the method outlined in this KB article: https://support.mozy.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/How-do-I-add-a-computer-to-my-account

As @username_issues stated you can also replace the old machine with the new machine during setup of Mozy onto the new machine. This will allow you 30 days to restore the files to the new computer. 

Remy

JaredG
(384)

@pmaehr

Have all your questions been answered?  For your information your backup now has about 12 GBs at about 17,900 files.  Your previous backup on 7/28/16 had about 39 GBs at about 133,000 files.  Do you want to continue to backup all the data that was previously backed up on your old computer?  If so and if you are having any troubles with the computer then you may restore all your data using this knowledge base article with instructions to restore all files.  If you are not having troubles with the older computer and you want your data moved to the new computer so you may continue to backup then we recommend that you use an external drive to copy the data to the new computer.

Please post any questions or comments.

Thank you,

Jared
Mozy Support
ShawnL
Community Manager
(400)

@pmaehr - Thank you for using the Mozy forums! If you have any additional questions, please reply to this topic thread and our community members will be happy to assist you!

Have a great day!

Shawn L.
Community Manager