Click to close the image preview

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Most Liked Users
User Reps Count
Announcements
The Mozy Blog: Windows 10, FilterError0, and Digitally Signed Driver Errors
A new update has been released for the Windows client that resolves some issues users were experiencing with Windows 10. Check out the latest blog for details!

April's Webinar: Protecting Your Data From Attack
In case you missed it, April's webinar has been posted!

Looking for support?
Create a new post with your question and our community members and moderators will be happy to help answer it for you!
Solved (Go to Solution)

Deleted Computer-Help!

I recently purchased a new computer. I then restored the files from my old computer. Then the new computer was stolen. I then bought another new computer and tried to re-download the information from my original computer but its not listed anymore because I had replaced it. So what do I do now so I do not lose all my data...

username...

Master Level 1
(2981)

Re: Deleted Computer-Help!

Thmpsn44 wrote:

I recently purchased a new computer. I then restored the files from my old computer. Then the new computer was stolen. I then bought another new computer and tried to re-download the information from my original computer but its not listed anymore because I had replaced it. So what do I do now so I do not lose all my data...

First, read this:

https://support.mozy.com/articles/en_US/Solution/What-to-do-if-your-computer-was-stolen

I'll let some one from Mozy help you with your data. They can look at your account and tell you if the files are still around somewhere.

Hi. 

Thanks for your reply. 

I am assuming I will never get my old computer back...that I can live with. I am mostly afraid of losing all my Data from my old computer. From what i understand, even though I've replaced my old computer, I should have 30 days left to download again. My problem is that my old computer does not appear on the list? And I only have 10 days left on my "Grace" period before all is deleted permanently.  

I'm pretty new at this and am not exactly computer savvy to begin with...I'm struggling.

Thanks in advance if you can assist me further.

AllanH
(203)

Hi @Thmpsn44

As I'll need to discuss private account information with you, I've created a support ticket to further assist you. Please reply to the email that's been sent.

Thanks!

ShawnL
Community Manager
(449)

@Thmpsn44 - It looks like your support case is in progress with @AllanH. Should you have any questions about this particular issue, please respond to the case email, but if you have any additional questions we can also help you here in the forums. 

Thank you for using the Mozy forums!

Shawn

Shawn L.
Community Manager
AngelinaS
(211)

@Thmpsn44  In general, when you install Mozy on computer B to replace computer A, the account will then only display computer B, but the backup history will be inherited from computer A.  Now in your case, where you now have computer C to replace computer B, you will need to either use "Include deleted files" option or "Change date" option.

The "Include deleted files" option would be used in the event the files from computer A were not restored to computer B and selected for backup again, and a backup ran to associate the files with the new computer.  http://support.mozy.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/Why-cant-I-see-my-deleted-files-when-requesting-a-Web-res...

The "Change date" option allows you to go back up to 30 days from today's dates to restore files.  http://support.mozy.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/How-to-restore-from-an-earlier-date

Thus to restore files from computer A to computer C, you will need to choose either of the two methods above.  If you elect to use the "Include deleted files" option, the restore will download all files within the past 30 days that are marked for deletion as well as newly backed up files.  If you elect to use the "Change date" option, you will want to change the date to the day before the date you installed Mozy on computer B.  For example, if you installed Mozy on computer B and ran a backup on 7/5/16, you will want to select 7/4/16 as the date of restore to capture the data from computer A.  In this example, you have 30 days from 7/5/16 to restore the files before they are permanently removed from the Mozy servers.

If this helped you, please like the response given and press Accept as Solution.

Thank you,

Angie

JaredG
(418)
Solution

@Thmpsn44

To answer your question why "my original computer but its not listed anymore because I had replaced it" (which may have been answered in your case).  

This is because the new computer took over the name of the old computer and this does not effect the data availability since the data backed up and the licensing is moved to the new computer and the same retention policy is effective on the new computer listed.

If you search your backup history on the web restore page or locally in the restore tab and change the date to a time when the original computer was backing up, you will see the backed up files during the specific time frame that you set the date to.

Thank you,

Jared
Mozy Support
JaredG
(418)

@Thmpsn44

Did you have any other questions for the community?  I appears that you are still working with Allen on the case.  Please post any questions or comments.

Thank you,

Jared
Mozy Support
ShawnL
Community Manager
(449)

@Thmpsn44 - Thank you for using the Mozy community forum! It looks like your case was closed with @AllanH. Please let us know if you have any additional questions by responding to this thread or starting a new post, and our community members will be happy to help!

Have a great day!

Shawn L.
Community Manager