Click to close the image preview

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements
Latest from the Blog: Trending KB Articles This Week
Check out the articles that are popular this week, and some other information and articles that can help you find further resolution if you're experiencing these issues.

Looking for Support?
Create a new post with your question and our community members and moderators will be happy to help answer it for you!
owensdj
Assassin
(5)
Solved (Go to Solution)

Backing Up Empty Folders

Any chance Mozy could add the option to back up all empty sub-folders under a folder that's checked for back up?  I ran into a problem after a restore because the software that used the backed up data expected to have some empty sub-folders in place.  It was a surprise to me that the Mozy Pro client software wasn't getting all sub-folders.

0 Reps
zachm
Admin Emeritus
(67)

Re: Backing Up Empty Folders

It looks like you could use a little help here. Let me get a Mozy support agent to reach out.

Zach M.
Community Manager
0 Reps
zachm
Admin Emeritus
(67)

If a support agent doesn't have a good answer for this, you might consider posting this as an idea in the Idea Exchange.

Zach M.
Community Manager
0 Reps
AngelinaS
(220)

@owensdj   By design, Mozy does not backup an empty folder.  The backup client looks for files that are selected for backup and will backup the subfolder in which they are located.  Since there are specific folders you need backed up that are typically empty,  I recommend creating a simple text file to keep in those folders so they will backup.  

If this helped you please like the response given and press Accept as Solution

Thank you,

Angie

0 Reps
zachm
Admin Emeritus
(67)

So it sounds like Mozy backs up files and their paths? If there is no file there is no path..  @owensdj This might be a really good candidate for the idea exchange but I'm not sure how much traction it will get considering what @AngelinaS said.

Zach M.
Community Manager
0 Reps
owensdj
Assassin
(5)

@AngelinaS putting a simple text file in the empty folders would probably be a work-around, but the problem is that this software creates hundreds, if not more, of empty folders and subfolders.  Going through all of those and adding a file would be difficult.  Also, if Mozy doesn't add this suggested feature, I'd suggest some type of notification for the user to tell them that empty subfolders won't get backed up.

AngelinaS
(220)

@owensdj   This link briefly speaks of the empty folders:  http://support.mozy.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/Does-Mozy-back-up-empty-folders  I have never encountered a program that required any empty folders to be restored to allow the data files to be read.  Are you backing up the data files only or the program too?  What is the name of this program?  This link explains what should be backed up:  http://support.mozy.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/What-should-I-back-up-with-Mozy

Thank you,

Angie

owensdj
Assassin
(5)

@AngelinaS This is a program called Drake that does federal and state tax returns for tax preparers.  It accesses the data fine without the empty folders it creates during the initial install.  The problem happens when the user sends a return over the Internet.  The software gets an "internal error" when the user clicks a button to get an Acknowledgement that the return was transferred correctly.  Most likely the Drake software uses those empty folders for temporary files during a transfer, and it doesn't check for the existence of the folder before it tries to use it.  There could be other problems that the software has without those empty folders.

I'm backing up the entire Drake folder.  That includes all data plus the program itself. 

0 Reps
Benjamin_C
(189)
Solution

Hmm. Some thoughts on possible workarounds, as it sounds like you want to restore that program to the same state it was in when it was backed up, but since we don't back up empty folders, it can't work. In general Mozy isn't designed to restore actual programs to the same states, but instead restore files and content. Perfect example of this is the 'favorites' in Firefox. We'll get the files back to ya, and even try to put them where they were before, but Firefox won't recognize them until you 'import' them into the program. We could instead 'backup' the entire Firefox program folder, and restore it, but it still wouldn't work, as it wouldn't be 'attached' to the new computer, or even installed. We'll give you your files, but some programs have their own file structure and program interface needed to work, (and still need to install other files throughout the 'operating system' file structure and registry so that they 'count' as being installed).  

Now, I did some research on the specific Drake program. I found a good article on how to backup and restore the program:

http://kb.drakesoftware.com/Site/Browse/Backup-or-Restore-Tax-Software-Using-USB-Drive

Now, you have a few options. Instead of putting the backup in the USB drive you could put it in a folder, and then backup that specific file created by the link above, (effectively using our 'backup service' as a USB drive). That option would be tedious without scripts to create and export the backup to the folder in question, and we can't help with the scripting side of things. I assume this method would work, but make sure to test it and be sure the empty folder issue doesn't re-occur. Another option is contacting Drake technical support, and see if they have a way for you to do that more simply. Maybe they can tell you which key folders to backup, so you can put those folders back without importing, or with minimal importing?

Benjamin_C
~Mozy Support

PS: If a response has resolved your issue, please mark it as a solution to help the Mozy Community!
0 Reps
username...

Master Level 1
(2907)

owensdj wrote:

@AngelinaS putting a simple text file in the empty folders would probably be a work-around, but the problem is that this software creates hundreds, if not more, of empty folders and subfolders.

Create a batch file that zips up the entire Drake folder into one single compressed file.

Create a scheduled task that runs that batch file a bit before Mozy is scheduled to run.

Have the Mozy app back up that one zip file. Don't backup the Drake folder.

Let us know if you need help creating the batch file or scheduled task.

I don't visit this particular sub-forum much. Send me a Private Message if I don't answer in this thread within a day or two.