Click to close the image preview

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements
Latest from the Blog: Mozy Reseller Bites Ransomware with Mozy Backup and Restore
Check out how a pet store used Mozy to recover from a ransomware attack.

Looking for Support?
Create a new post with your question and our community members and moderators will be happy to help answer it for you!
PB1
Elite Level 1
(5)
Solved (Go to Solution)

Removing hidden files that are being backed up

I just looked at the progress that my Mozy Home back up was making and was wondering why it was taking so long. Well, there were a number of files which I had not checked for inclusion in my backup population of files and that had actually been backed up (found in the "history" tab). Why is that? Do I need them and thus they were somehow not included in the list of files that I could see?

Also- there is one file- perhaps some registry file or something - that is taking an inordinately long time to backup (and perhaps the other ones did too- it took all night to back up- there had been a 20 day hiatus but with not many files being added to this extra computer of mine). I wanted to find out where this one file lived and I also wanted to figure out what it was, but when I did a search on my PC, I could not find it. The file is named naip_1-1_1n_s_ca073_2005_3.sid . What kind of file is that and why is it taking so long to back up and- most importantly- do I need it?

There seemed to be a lot of weird temporary  files from my Roaming folder  that were also being backed up (when I looked on the progress of the backup). However- I had just gone thru my entire hard drive yesterday only checking files that I wanted to back up- so- no files in any of the Temp folders and I am pretty sure not in the Roaming folder.  Any idea a) what is going on with those being backed up that I did not check, and b) how can I find files that are perhaps hidden (I have Administration-level control of this computer)? 

I would like to delete a bunch of files that are not straightforward documents, excel files, or pictures, but I am afraid that if I do find them with everyone's help, that perhaps I would destabilize my computer. if I deleted them Does anybody have any insight into that?  I would really like to free up some space.

BTW - I have an old PC that is working quite well- 32 bit system and using Vista (ugh) but so far so good. I have a newer one that I usually use, but this one is like an old dependable car from Detroit that I use when my temperamental Aston Martin is in the shop (...if only...).

Thanks so much.

0 Reps
remymozy
(47)

Re: Removing hidden files that are being backed up

@PB1

When you set up Mozy for the first time, Mozy will automatically scan for common files and add them to a default Backup Set. The Temp files you spoke of later on in your post are most likely a part of this Backup Set. You can look at the files in the default Backup Set by clicking the Backup Sets tab inside of the Settings for the Mozy client (right next to the File System tab where you make your file selections). If you want to remove these from your backup, simply uncheck the box beside each Backup Set and then click OK at the bottom right. Please make sure you have everything you need selected for backup in the File System tab before doing this to avoid losing any files you need from the backup.

I checked the .sid file extension you mentioned and found the following program MrSID. This software appears to handle downloading of maps and other geographical data to third party programs. If you use a GPS or map program on your computer, this is most likely the file running the geographical data. The files can be very large so they may take a long time to backup. 

I definitely would not recommend deleting anything from your computer that you aren't familiar with. You will want to seek help with a computer technician for that. Though I can't offer any insight on what you should and should not delete, it's very easy to delete any files you do not want in your Mozy backup via the Backup Sets tab or the File System tab. Simply uncheck the box next to any file, folder or Backup Set you want to remove from the backup in the File System or Backup Sets tab in the Mozy Settings then then click OK at the bottom right to remove them from the backup. This will reclaim space in your Mozy backup which will allow you to backup more in the future. 

Remy

PB1
Elite Level 1
(5)

remymozy wrote:

@PB1

When you set up Mozy for the first time, Mozy will automatically scan for common files and add them to a default Backup Set. The Temp files you spoke of later on in your post are most likely a part of this Backup Set. You can look at the files in the default Backup Set by clicking the Backup Sets tab inside of the Settings for the Mozy client (right next to the File System tab where you make your file selections). If you want to remove these from your backup, simply uncheck the box beside each Backup Set and then click OK at the bottom right. Please make sure you have everything you need selected for backup in the File System tab before doing this to avoid losing any files you need from the backup.

I checked the .sid file extension you mentioned and found the following program MrSID. This software appears to handle downloading of maps and other geographical data to third party programs. If you use a GPS or map program on your computer, this is most likely the file running the geographical data. The files can be very large so they may take a long time to backup. 

I definitely would not recommend deleting anything from your computer that you aren't familiar with. You will want to seek help with a computer technician for that. Though I can't offer any insight on what you should and should not delete, it's very easy to delete any files you do not want in your Mozy backup via the Backup Sets tab or the File System tab. Simply uncheck the box next to any file, folder or Backup Set you want to remove from the backup in the File System or Backup Sets tab in the Mozy Settings then then click OK at the bottom right to remove them from the backup. This will reclaim space in your Mozy backup which will allow you to backup more in the future. 

Remy

Hi Remy- thanks for this.  Yeah- I have unchecked many a file in my backup set over the last few years, but some of the files that I saw on my backup log today were files that I had never seen before. They may, however,  have been hiding behind a folder that I had checked (and did not bother looking at all of the files within). So I will do that. But most of the files I'm talking about had extensions that were totally unfamiliar to me (and also their names were not anything that I would have named). So still trying to figure out that and what they actually were.  I will look on my log and get back to this post.

Yeah- I have gone thru my hard drive numerous times (hours at a time) unchecking files that I no longer want. But this just seemed a bit different, yet admittedly, I have never really before paid attention to the log of which files were in the process of being backed up. I looked at this particular log because the computer had been backing up all night and I was wondering what was the matter.  I will look more closely at those other files and figure them out (and hopefully uncheck them).

Yes- I was doing a lot of GIS work from telemetry of shorebirds so I guess that is what the .sid is.  OK thanks so much for looking this up. For sure I won't delete it!

Will get back to this post. Thanks again, Remy.

0 Reps
Tyler_W
(50)

@PB1

Did @remymozy suggestion work for you?

Tyler W.
Community Moderator, L1 Team Lead
0 Reps
PB1
Elite Level 1
(5)

No Tyler- I had already gone through my entire hard drive and had unchecked everything that seemed unnecessary for me. That is- I only saved (checked) docs, excel files, stats files, data in other formats, ppts, pictures, pdfs, etc. These other files were in formats that I did not recognize and in folders that I never made. So I have no idea what they were. Will have to look in history log to see and get back to you.
0 Reps
JaredG
(500)
Solution

@PB1

I found the bulk of your data located as follows:

21.38 GBs under C:\Users\Guest\Desktop\ (JEPGs)

51.98 GBs under C:\Users\user\Desktop\ (Folder "April 2013 restore" has the bulk of data here)

33.96 GBs under C:\Users\user\Documents\ (a backup folder) 

291.16 MBs under C:\Users\user\Pictures\

1.11 GBs under C:\Users\user\Videos\

2.14 GBs under C:\Users\Owner\Desktop\ (divided among several folders)

I hope this is helpful since this accounts for about 98% of your backup.

Please post any questions or comments.

Thank you,

Jared
Mozy Support
Tyler_W
(50)

@PB1

I'm not seeing a decrease, in terms of data selected for backup. Have you had a chance to look at those folders that @JaredG found to be the most cumbersome? 

Tyler W.
Community Moderator, L1 Team Lead
0 Reps
AngelinaS
(220)

@PB1   Was the information provided in this thread helpful in answering your questions?

If this helped you, please like the response given and press Accept as Solution.

Thank you,

Angie

0 Reps
JaredG
(500)

@PB1

I still don't see a change in the backup size.

If you are having troubles seeing everything that's selected for backup then you may have Windows UAC security enabled which can sometimes prevent you from seeing your entire backup selection depending on the security level set.  If this is a problem then you can allow Mozy through Windows UAC security to show you your entire backup selection by clicking on the blue link "Change settings that are currently unavailable" that is found above the "Help, Okay, and Cancel" buttons in the Mozy settings.

Post.PNG

Please post any questions or comments.

Thank you,

Jared
Mozy Support
0 Reps
ShawnL
Community Manager
(146)

@PB1 - Did you need any additional assistance with this?

Shawn L.
Community Manager
0 Reps