Click to close the image preview

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements
The Mozy Blog: Windows 10, FilterError0, and Digitally Signed Driver Errors
A new update has been released for the Windows client that resolves some issues users were experiencing with Windows 10. Check out the latest blog for details!

April's Webinar: Protecting Your Data From Attack
In case you missed it, April's webinar has been posted!

Looking for support?
Create a new post with your question and our community members and moderators will be happy to help answer it for you!
davidtg
Spy
(0)

Exclude Downloads folder?

In MozyPro Client Configuration, with a custom backup set I'd like to be able to exclude the user profile Downloads folder but I'm not having any luck specifying it in the search location. I tried these as possible keywords to refer to the Downloads folder,

%Downloads%

%userprofile%\Downloads

Neither worked. I'm not finding much documentation on other possible keywords that could be used as there clearly are more than shown as examples in the web ui (%Application Data% %Desktop% %Favorites% %My Documents% etc..). I trying to wildcard the search location with something like,

C:\Users\*\Downloads

But also didn't get the expected results.

If anyone has help on this it would be appreciated. Thanks, david

Marcr
(82)

Re: Exclude Downloads folder?

davidtg~ you will can try %userprofile%\Downloads

See below:

Screen Shot 2013-07-30 at 9.43.25 AM.png

Screen Shot 2013-07-30 at 9.43.32 AM.png

Make sure you check mark " File matching this set will be excluded from the final backup set"

then you will click "Done" at the bottom left.

This will return you back to the Windows backup set window:

Windows Backup Sets

Check the "lock" box then hit "Save Changes" 

Then try a manual backup and set what the result is.....

Please remember to mark the solution post and give thumbs up to helpful posts.

Mozy Premium Support

davidtg
Spy
(0)

Ok, referencing a search location like,

Locked backup set

Exclude from final backup set

%userprofile%\Downloads

Does in fact exclude the files under this folder but some differeing behavior had me thinking it wasn't working. Clarification would be appreciated as explained below,

So I've also successfully created backup set to exclude music files,

Locked backup set

Exclude from final backup set

Search Locations: %My Music% and %My Documents%

Rule:  Include file types: mp3 wma ra ogg flac shn mpa pls wav au m3u mid mid

When I go to the Mozy Client and try to select the above file types in those locations they all have a "lock" icon next to them and are blocked from being selected.

This differs from the exclude from Downloads folder backup set where none of the files are locked and can be selected for backup. But as I see now they aren't actually backed up even though they are selected and temporarily increase the number of files being backed up and size of the backup. This is confusing behavior I think.

I've attached several images show how these differ and made me think in the testing the Downloads folder was still being included.

Techalder
(254)

I'm still trying to get my head around the explanation.  Let me know if I am getting this correct...

You created an exclusionary set to NOT backup files.  You then see the padlock to negate those files from being backed up.  It seems that the issue is that you are noticing that the amount of files goes up instead of down for the backup set once the files have been excluded from the backup set?  Can you clarify this and we'll tackle it for you.

Tech  :-)

davidtg
Spy
(0)

Either way the end result is the files in both cases do correctly get excluded from backup. 

I'm seeing what I think is inconsistant behavior in that the Mozy Client allows the files to be individually selected for backup within the folder to be excluded.  When the backup runs the files aren't actually backed up even though they remain selected.