Click to close the image preview

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Labels
Announcements
New from the Blog: Take a Tour of the Mozy Admin Console
Take a tour of the Mozy Admin Console in Part 1, Part 2: Users & Machines, Part 3: SubPartners & SubAdmins, Part 4: Resources and Billing, and the most recent installment, Part 5: Graphs & Reports.

Looking for Support?
Create a new post with your question and our community members and moderators will be happy to help answer it for you! Don't forget to register!
remymozy

(95)

How can Mozy Sync help my productivity?

It's August and back to school is fast approaching. While you're out upgrading your academic arsenal to be your scholarly best this school year, you're probably going to happen across a few new pieces of technology. I personally bought myself a new Macbook Pro last semester. At home I still have my custom built Windows gaming rig that I prefer to do work at when I step off campus. I am no stranger to Windows or Mac in the administrative sense so I wasn't surprised that as an everyday user of both I ran into a loss of productivity in shuffling around files.

Transferring documents from a Windows PC to a Mac can be exhausting using traditional storage hardware. Portable drives formatted on Mac cannot be read by default in Windows. Portable drives formatted on Windows can only be read on Mac by default, not written to.  My hard drives and flash drives, which were already feeling tedious to carry and obsolete to the cloud, were useless to me. For a brief period of time this caused me to develop the very annoying habit of emailing my files from my Mac to my Windows PC and vice versa. On a few occasions in a rush I typed in the wrong email address and bounced my latest draft of a term paper. Thanks to Mozy Sync I have finally broken this habit. Mozy Sync has become my invisible USB flash drive that is 'plugged into' each of my computers. I thought I would take a moment to share how Mozy Sync gives me my important files when I need them regardless of my operating system.

As an example I'm going to use an image file of our trusty Mozy icon but we can imagine this is my term paper that I created overnight with a few good cups of coffee. I'm sending this file from my Windows computer to my Macbook. 

mozy_logo_only.png

On my Windows PC I simply double click the Mozy Sync icon sync icon mac.pngat the bottom right hand of the Windows taskbar to open the Mozy Sync folder and drag and drop the file into it.  

sync folder win.png

Upon dragging this file into my Mozy Sync folder it is sent to the cloud and stored in my Mozy account. The following notification lets me know of its successful upload.

sync notif win.png

My Macbook Pro is in my backpack sleeping. That's okay. I don't need to pull it out. It only needs to be on when I want to receive the file. I head out the door to start another full day of classes. When I get to the university and power on my Macbook Pro I am greeted with the following message from Mozy Sync: 

sync mac notif download.png

The file has been downloaded to my Macbook Pro from the cloud. To find it I click on the Mozy Sync icon sync icon mac.pngat the top right of the Mac Finder Bar and click "Open Mozy Sync Folder". 

sync folder mac.png

I immediately open the file and start making a few last minute changes. When I save the file the changes will be uploaded to the cloud and downloaded to my Windows PC.  Since the term paper is now finished I don't really need access to it all the time via Mozy Sync. When I return home I'll move the file out of the Mozy Sync folder, file it in my documents and add it to my Mozy backup. This is of course a personal preference in handling my own files. You can store as many files in your Mozy Sync folder as your storage allows.

With hardware and software limitations still today, Mozy Sync is a great bridge that can help you keep your head in your studies and out of trying to reverse engineer a clever way to move your files.  I am frequently surprised by the amount of Mozy users that do not know of its existence, let alone functionality. Perhaps it is the same preconceived notion I had of nothing better existing when I was desperately emailing myself files.

Comments
Justin_M...

Employee

(27)

For people reading this post that are interested in getting Mozy Sync installed, you can find the installation packages here: 

http://mozy.com/product/download/sync

Wayward
Overlord Level 1

(663)

Well .... since one of my major guidelines (for most stuff) is "Work Smarter, Not Harder", Mozy Sync comes up to bat for me.

I need to keep a significant number of data files in sync between an office desktop computer and a notebook computer, used for traveling (or maybe used when my feet are propped up in the recliner).  This includes financial management, database, current project status, and numerous other data.

In most cases, I simply work from folders in the Mozy Sync folder .... so everything automatically stays in sync.  For certain file types, which automatically save work in progress but hold the file open, I work in a separate folder and copy the final save to Mozy Sync.  Files such as the Quicken data file and the Microsoft Access database file can fall into this category.

An additional benefit of Mozy Sync is the smartphone or tablet app. It's nice to be sitting in a meeting with easy Android device access to any of several project status reports.  "Work smarter, Not Harder" ... that's a top priority and it certainly improves productivity.

ShawnL
Community Manager

(488)

@remymozy - Great job! It's nice to see a blog showing Sync in action. 

ShawnL
Community Manager

(488)

@Wayward - Since you're a Sync user, is there any content that you would like to see in our blogs regarding Sync that we could elaborate on in any way? 

JaredG

(470)

I love to use Mozy Sync between my work and  home computers as I can easily drag and drop files I need between computers or even open then edit and save existing files in Sync for update.

If a family member needs to send me a document to proof read or if they need help with a project or if I need something from the home computer then you just drop it into Sync and you can immediately retrieve the file to do what you need on any of the computers that are linked to the Sync folder.

Sync is very useful for me and for the family.

JaredG

Wayward
Overlord Level 1

(663)

@ShawnL worte:

----------------------------------------

@Wayward - Since you're a Sync user, is there any content that you would like to see in our blogs regarding Sync that we could elaborate on in any way? 

----------------------------------------

Mozy Sync has always seemed very naturally intuitive to me.  Once installed and the initial Sync has completed on all connected computers, it's a simple fact that changes to a file in the Sync folder or sub-folders is automatically updated on all connected computers.

Here are a few events I have experienced that may be worth a little further discussion:

• Work out a system with other Sync computer users to never open and edit the same file at the same time.  The result would probably be a corrupted file.
  • Never attempt to run certain database file types directly from a Mozy Sync folder.  Any program which automatically saves work in progress but holds the data file open (for additional entries) can conflict with the Sync algorithm.  File types with this issue include the Quicken data file plus database such as Microsoft Access.  The safe practice is to work from a separate folder and copy the final save to a Sync folder.
  • When moving data to a new computer, it's pretty simple with Mozy.  Add all desired data to the Mozy Sync folder, sync to the Cloud, setup the new computer, install Sync, and Sync to the new computer.

These are just a few I have experienced over the years.  I'm sure some of your technical folks might expand beyond my neophyte level.

ShawnL
Community Manager

(488)

@Wayward - Thanks for your feedback! Let me see if we can elaborate on any of these for you in a future blog article. 

ShawnL
Community Manager

(488)

For any users looking for help with the installation of the Sync software, check out our latest blog!

Thanks!

Wayward
Overlord Level 1

(663)

@ShawnL ... I'll be looking for additional blogs.  I've been using Mozy Sync for so long, I tend to think that I pretty much know it inside and out ... and then along comes something I either haven't thought about; or never knew about; or forgot about.   :-).

ShawnL
Community Manager

(488)

@Wayward - I'm so glad that you are finding these blogs helpful! We're trying to flesh out some common questions we receive in support and start a conversation through the blog format. Your feedback is greatly appreciated!

ShawnL
Community Manager

(488)

@Wayward

For information on Sync Restores, please check out our latest blog!

maloneto...

Sensei Level 1

(28)

This has helped me thank you

Vincentlondonuk

Visitor

The Mozy backup features are perfect, in that it allows you to select with folders to backup

Now why doesn't Mozy sync work the same way, instead of having to duplicate files from my existing folder structure into the sync folder??

PTNubs

(276)

The Mozy backup has the folder granularity because you may want to backup data from other parts of your computer.

The MozySync is designed to sync a designated folder to the cloud. It doesn't use or need that granularity if the backups can already do that.

angelag
Community Manager

(799)

Hi Vincentlondonuk,

@PTNubs is correct, the backup client and sync are meant for different things so they don't function exactly the same. The Backup is meant to select files from where they are located on your computer and back it up regularly to keep it safe in case of data loss or disaster recovery.

Sync is more for sharing specific things between two (or more) different computers. That way you can just put something specific you want shared in that folder so it can be found/located on the other machine you have connected via Sync. You can then remove the file when you no longer want to share it with that computer, or you can leave it there and continue to work on it between both computers so the change is available to both each time.

Please let us know if you have any further questions about this process or how you should be using either of these products. We're happy to help!

angelag
Community Manager

(799)

@malonetony83 So glad this helped! Please let us know if you have any other questions or need assistance with anything. Smiley Very Happy

Vincentlondonuk

Visitor

Based on you reply and amount of likes, maybe I'm the only person using multiple devices to do my work and would like to keep certain folders in Sync, rather than just particular files?

This is how I currently have achieve what I need.

Mozy for regular daily backup to cloud and local external drive

a competitor to keep entire folders in sync between various devices.

i.e.

Photos folder on Mobile phone, Pad, laptop, desktop

Various work folders on desktop and laptop, and some also on phone and pad.

Nobody else need to do similar?

If Mozy allowed any folder Sync as well, I'd use it because I'd expect would be more efficient as I already also have full backups on the same service.

remymozy

(95)

@Vincentlondonuk

Unfortunately this is not something that was ever planned for Mozy Sync during its development as the Mozy Backup software covers the folders outside of the Mozy Sync folder and blacklists the Mozy Sync folder to prevent storage overlap. Opening up these folders to be backed up in Mozy Sync would also mean that they would need to be black listed in Mozy Backup which could potentially cause major conflict between the two softwares. 

I do agree this would be a fantastic bit of functionality to add to Mozy Sync and I've gone ahead and submitted this as a feature request to our developers. Thank you for the feedback!

ShawnL
Community Manager

(488)

@Vincentlondonuk

Feel free to submit this idea to our Idea Exchange forum!

angelag
Community Manager

(799)

Vincentlondonuk,

I agree with @ShawnL, if this is something you'd really like to see the Sync client do, submit it to our Idea Exchange! If you want more information on our Idea Exchange, I recently wrote a blog post about the Idea Exchange and why you should use it to leave suggestions for our developers.

Kristie

Visitor

Is there any difference between Sync and Dropbox?

PTNubs

(276)

@Kristie,

Both Sync and Dropbox offer a cloud-based, file sharing capability.

Both offer a mobile app, a desktop app for Windows and Mac, and both provide encryption.

The main benefits to using Mozy Sync include 24x7 support available in the form of a Live Chat (MozyHome & Sync) and Phone (MozyPro & Sync).

If you use our free 2GB account, your support options are limited to the Knowledge Base on our support page.

Further, Mozy is one of the few online storage providers to obtain ISO 27001 certification and successfully complete an SSAE 16 audit.

These certifications show our commitment to data security on our privately-hosted data centers.

angelag
Community Manager

(799)

Kristie,

@PTNubs covered that really well! Another benefit to using Mozy Sync is that it's right there in your Mozy backup account which also gives you the option to install our backup software on your machine and back up the rest of the computer. Sync is for sharing, but Mozy's backup solution allows you to keep a live backup on a a regular backup (every 2 hours, daily, weekly, however you prefer) so that if you should ever lose your computer (natural disaster, theft, etc.) you can restore them.

While Sync and the backup solution are separate and work individually of each other, it's nice to be able to manage them both in one central account location. If you've never used our backup and want to learn more about it, let me know! I'd love to get the files on you computer securely safe and sound with Mozy.