Click to close the image preview

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Labels
Announcements
CONTEST ANNOUNCEMENT! Enter to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
Tell us a personal story of a time when Mozy really helped you out. Did you think all was lost but found Mozy had what you needed? Did it "save your bacon" so-to-speak? Check out the latest blog for details on how to enter for a chance to win!

Latest Blog: How to Set Up Multiple Log-Ins for Your Account
Want to set up multiple sets of credentials so different people in your office/home can log in to your account? Check out today's blog for more information on what you need and how to do it...
angelag
Community Manager

(1054)

Can I Back Up My Website or Blog with Mozy?

In today's modern world of technology, it's not uncommon for just about everyone to have their own personal presence on the web. Maybe it's an eCommerce website where they sell handmade goods, advertise their small local business, or run a major company... Perhaps it's just a small personal blog that they keep their family updated with on a regular basis. No matter the case, that personal site is important to you, and backing it up should be as well.

shutterstock_292036202.jpg

Backing Up Your Blog/Website with Mozy

You may be wondering how Mozy can help with that, since Mozy only backs up files that are saved to your machine and not directly from the web. Well, that's true-you can't back up your website or blog directly with Mozy, but you can totally back it up indirectly.

Step 1: Export Your Blog/Website Backup

The first thing you'll want to do is export a copy of your blog/website or your blog/website's backup to your computer. This involves taking a copy of your blog/website as it currently exists and saving it to a physical location on your harddrive. 

Note: Most blog or website hosts have an easy to use default option to export a copy of your blog/website from your settings, but if you're unsure how to do it reach out to your hosting or web provider for assistance.

Step 2: Select the Exported File to Backup

Once you have the blog/website exported and saved to a physical location on your machine, you can select that file to backup through Mozy just like you would any other file.

For assistance selecting your file(s), see: How do I select files for backup?

Step 3: Back It Up

Once your file is selected fully from it's stored location, it should back up as normal and be part of your regular backup process. Just make sure it stays on the machine and selected, and it should continue backing up.

Step 4: Repeat

You may want to repeat this process (Steps 1-3 above) every few weeks to make sure you get a fully up-to-date export of your blog/website every so often as each export will only have data for the blog/website as it is at that time. Since you have to manually export the file(s), it wont automatically update when you make changes to your blog/website.

If You Ever Have to Restore

Should the time come that you should need to restore your blog/website from Mozy, you'll be able to restore the exported copy you backed up from Mozy, and go through a similar process with your web host/provider to import that restored copy back into your website/blog's back end.

Double Up

Personally, when it comes to my own personal website, I have a backup solution provided by my hosting provider and another one I've installed separately that runs and keeps a secure backup of my site at all times. However, I also combine these with the process I've outlined above so that I have my website securely protected in three separate locations. I truly like to follow the idea that "if you like it, you should back it up twice"... Or thrice, in my case. It gives me a strong piece of mind.

Have any questions or concerns? Want to suggest a blog topic? Leave it in the comments below!

Comments
ShawnL
Community Manager

(565)

@angelag - Great post as always! 

ShawnL
Community Manager

(565)

All of our previous blogs and webinars can be found in the link below:

Mozy Blogs

Mozy Webinars

Should you have any questions, please let us know in the comments.

ShawnL
Community Manager

(565)

To our current and future visitors, you are currently able to post on blogs without registering, however we are unable to see your account details or email you with an update about your question or comment without being registered in the community. Please consider registering for the Mozy community before posting on a support question on the blog, especially if the question is urgent. Registration is easy and the steps can be found in the link below:

Mozy Community Registration

Once registered, we can more easily access your account and backup information which will allow us answer your questions more accurately. In addition, we can easily create a support or billing case for you should we need to take the issue out of the forums. 

Thank you for using the Mozy community!

magda

Visitor

Will this feature be offered in the future?

Crips

Visitor

When will bare metal restores be a thing for Mozy?

ShawnL
Community Manager

(565)

@magda - Backing up your website from the web as apposed to a saved file from your computer is not something we're looking to do in the near future, however should this change, I will make sure and update you right away!

ShawnL
Community Manager

(565)

@Crips - We can't say for sure but keep an eye out in the near future for news on new features for Mozy products! I do believe bare metal restores are on our radar. Our blog will be the first to feature these announcements. 

Crips

Visitor

I see. Thanks for the info.

ShawnL
Community Manager

(565)

If you have a moment, check out the latest community contest and tell us your personal story of a time when Mozy was really there for you. We want to hear about that time you thought all was lost, but luckily you had Mozy backup to restore your files. Leave your personal story in the comments below for a chance to win. All you have to do is leave a comment on our Community Feedback Giveaway blog post to enter to win $50!

Community Contest

Thank you so very much for being an essential part of our Community.

JaredG

(581)

Thanks Angela for another well written Blog!

Wayward
Overlord Level 1

(692)

Interesting discussion @angelag and others ...

I handle several websites and have always been concerned with site data security, in case of a problem on the host end.

For that reason ... I probably do the development "old school."  All work is done on a local computer and then changed files are uploaded to the host. 

The complete website structure is saved in a local Mozy Sync folder, which provides an instant backup for any site changes.  Works for me and brings peace of mind.