Click to close the image preview

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Labels
Announcements
Latest from the Blog: Can I Back Up My Website or Blog with Mozy?
Do you have a personal website or blog you'd like to keep backed up? Check out the most recent blog post for more information on how to do it...

July's Webinar: Using a client configuration to control what your users backup
This months webinar on 07/26 will show you how to create a client configuration within the Administrator Console that you can push to your users. Register today!

Looking for Support?
Create a new post with your question and our community members and moderators will be happy to help answer it for you! Don't forget to register!
angelag
Community Manager

(956)

Best Practices for Mozy Web Restores Part 3: Compressed Archive Restores

So far in this series we've discussed Instant Downloads and restores using the Restore Manager when doing a web restore, and today we're going to talk about the best practices when using the web restore to complete a Compressed Archive Restore. .

What Are Compressed Archive Restores?

Compressed Archive restores are web restores that you decide to have returned to you in a compressed archive/zipped folder. When you request a Compressed Archive Restore through the Web Restore method, it will build the requested files on the back end and email you when they're ready to download. When you download them, you'll be downloading a zipped/compressed folder that will need to be decompressed/extracted once on the computer.

How to Request a Compressed Archive Restore

1. Log in at www.mozy.com/login
    • For MozyPro users, continue to step 2
    • For MozyHome users, skip to step 5
  2. Click on Search/List Machines from the left hand menu under Users
  3. Click on the machine name you'd like to restore from
  4. Click on Restore Files from the upper right hand corner of the machine panel that loads below
  5. Click on Devices from the left hand side of the Web Access screen
  6. Select the files you'd like to restore

viewactionpane.PNG

1. Click on the Actions Pane Button in the upper right
  2. Select Large Download Options from the Actions pane
  3. Give your restore a name (this is for your own records)

CompressedArchive.PNG

1. Select the radial button next to Download Compressed Archives
  2. Click Next

CompressedArchiveFinish.PNG

You will then be notified that the restore is building and it will email you when it's complete.

How to Download the Compressed Archive Restore

The email you're sent should contain a link, but you can also get the download through the Event History of your Web Restore window. To do so, follow these steps:

EventHistory.PNG

1. Log in at www.mozy.com/login
    • For MozyPro users, continue to step 2
    • For MozyHome users, skip to step 5
  2. Click on Search/List Machines from the left hand menu under Users
  3. Click on the machine name you'd like to restore from
  4. Click on Restore Files from the upper right hand corner of the machine panel that loads below
  5. Click on your username from the upper right hand corner
  6. Select Event History from the drop-down menu

ReadyforDownload.PNG

1. In the Event History, click on the restore that says it's Ready for Download
  2. Click on the Download Restore link under Downloads
  3. Save the restore if prompted to Open or Save by your browser/system

Where Downloaded Compressed Archives are Saved

The Compressed Archives download directly through your browser and will save to the location you have your browser set to save files. Typically this will be your default Downloads folder on the machine, but in some cases it may be another location you've chosen in your browser previously.

Extracting Compressed Archives

Since the files are compressed into zip files, they will need to be extracted on the machine. The extraction is done using extraction software on your machine (winzip, 7zip, etc.) or you can extract them using the Mozy Restore Manager as well.

File Types for Compressed Archives

• Any files backed up from a Windows machine will be compressed with a .zip or .exe extension
    • .zip extension will need to be extracted using an extraction software
    • .exe extension should just extract when you double click on it to open
  • Any files backed up from a Mac will be compressed using the .tar extension

Extracting Files From Windows to Mac or Vice Versa

If you are downloading files that were backed up from a Windows to a Mac, or from a Mac to a Windows, the file types are not by default supported on those operating systems. Typically when restoring across platforms we do recommend using the Restore Manager to restore the files directly without compression, however you can use the Compressed Archives with an extraction software that allows conversion. Third-party software like 7zip (Windows) and ez7z (Mac) can typically handle the cross-platform conversion and extraction, and there are other options when it comes to products like these.

Note: Mozy does not provide support for third-party software like those mentioned above, and while they are mentioned to note that they should/can work to help with the matter, Mozy has no responsibility for them and cannot assist with them.

For further help extracting the restores, see: How to extract files from an Archived Restore

Once the files are extracted on your machine you can then move/open/edit the files as needed.

Check back next Monday, February 13th as we tackle the fourth and final installment of our Best Practices for Web Restores series and talk about ordering a Media Restore with your data on it!

Comments
ShawnL
Community Manager

(532)

@angelag - Great job as always!

ShawnL
Community Manager

(532)

For reference, all of our previous blogs and webinars can be found in the link below:

Mozy Blogs

Mozy Webinars

Enjoy!

tonyboloney

Visitor

Will 7zip work?

tonyboloney

Visitor

I've had problems with Hamster but I think 7zip works

angelag
Community Manager

(956)

@tonyboloney,

I use 7zip all the time and really like it, but I've never used the other you mention. It may also depend on your computer and other factors though, we can't say for sure unfortunately what will work best for you.

ShawnL
Community Manager

(532)

@tonyboloney

7Zip works perfectly fine. Hamster is not something I have tried personally, but I will try this today and update. 

ShawnL
Community Manager

(532)

@tonyboloney - Tested Hamster with a test archive restore and it worked just fine.  

ShawnL
Community Manager

(532)

angelag
Community Manager

(956)

Hello readers! Thank you very much for taking a moment to catch up on the restore process, and I hope if you choose to do an archived restore, this will help you out.

If you have a moment, we'd love to get your feedback on our Community as we gear up to redesign. All you have to do is leave a comment on our Community Feedback Giveaway blog post to enter to win! Thank you so very much for being an essential part of our Community.