Click to close the image preview

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Labels
Announcements
New from the Blog: Tour of your MozyHome Account
Join us for Part 1 in our series where we provide a detailed tour of the MozyHome account settings.

May's Webinar: How long does my data stay on Mozy servers?
This months webinar on 05/31 will look at the recent changes to the Mozy retention policies which gives users access to older versions of files for longer. Register today!

Looking for Support?
Create a new post with your question and our community members and moderators will be happy to help answer it for you!
angelag
Community Manager

(723)

Best Practices for Mozy Web Restores Part 1: Instant Download Restores

If you only need to download one file at a time, or a few small files, the Instant Download method may be the best option for you. It is relatively quick and painless, and allows you to download one file, or a few small files, to any computer with an internet connection via the Web Restore in your account.

When to Use an Instant Download Restore

• When you are restoring one file that is under 1GB in size via the web
  • When you are restoring a small amount of files (Under 1GB of data) via the web

How to do an Instant Download Restore

1. Log in at www.mozy.com/login
    • For MozyPro users, continue to step 2
    • For MozyHome users, skip to step 5
  2. Click on Search/List Machines from the left hand menu under Users
  3. Click on the machine name you'd like to restore from
  4. Click on Restore Files from the upper right hand corner of the machine panel that loads below
  5. Click on Devices from the left hand side of the Web Access screen
  6. Navigate to the file you need to restore by clicking on each drive/folder in its path

InstantDownload.png

1. Download the file using one of the following methods:
    • Click directly on the file name
    • Check the box to the left of the file name and click the blue Download button

The files will then download instantly to the computer.

How Instant Download Files are Downloaded

Instant Download files are downloaded directly through your web browser.

• If you select one file, it will download exactly as it is with it's file name and extension exactly as it was backed up and saved.
  • If you select multiple files, the files will be put into a compressed folder that will need to be extracted after it downloads

Where Instant Download Files are Saved

When you download a file using the Instant Download method, it runs through your web browser's download settings and will save to the location you have your browser set to save files. Typically this will be your default Downloads folder on the machine, but in some cases it may be another location you've chosen in your browser previously.

If you're having trouble locating the files after download, see: How to Locate Files Restored Using Instant Download

So, if you're doing a smaller restore and just want to quickly log into your account and download the file, an Instant Download Restore might be the best option for you.

Don't forget to come back on Monday for part 2 of our Web Restore best practices series where we will talk about using the Mozy Restore Manager to download your files!

Comments
ShawnL
Community Manager

(452)

@angelag - Awesome post! I can't wait to see the best practices for all of our restore methods!

angelag
Community Manager

(723)

Thanks @ShawnL, we have a TON more information coming over the next couple of weeks. I think February is going to be all about restores here on the Community blog!

ShawnL
Community Manager

(452)

Be sure to check out our blog section on Mondays and Wednesdays for new best practices information over the month of February! 

JaredG

(437)

@angelag

This is a great blog!  I love that I can log into Mozy anywhere and download a file or some of my files or all of my data!  It's very convenient and I use these features all the time!

TerryinAZ

Visitor

Is this best option for downloading all my files?

angelag
Community Manager

(723)

@TerryinAZ,

No, this is not the best option if you are downloading all of your files. The Instant Download option is really only meant to download one file or a few small files. The restore using the Restore Manager is a better option for you.

For more information on restoring all of your files, see: Requesting a Web Restore for All Files

Also, please feel free to register for the community so we can more easily reply to you.

ShawnL
Community Manager

(452)

For reference, all of our previous blogs and webinars can be found in the link below:

Mozy Blogs

Mozy Webinars

Enjoy!

Wayward
Overlord Level 1

(648)

@angelag  .... another excellent blog.  Thanks.  Instant Download Restore is a frequent restore process for me.  Fortunately, I haven't needed to do any kind of major restore .. and let's keep it that way.

Step 5, in your blog post, is to click  Devices to see backed up devices and related files.  Since I also use Mozy Sync there is also a Synced option to show Mozy Sync files.

I read through the article several times and did not see a reference to the file version restore restore option.  In dealing with database files or financial management files, I frequently need to look back at a file version from several days ago. 

This might be helpful for users with a similar file version need. For any backed up or synced file with older versions available, a blue icon appears on the right side of the screen for a selected file.  Clicking on the blue versions icon will list earlier versions of the file that are available for download. 

An earlier version download has bailed me out several times. Smiley Happy

angelag
Community Manager

(723)

@Wayward,

Great idea! I think maybe I'll put together a whole post on restoring different versions and why it can be useful. What do you think @ShawnL? Sound good?

ShawnL
Community Manager

(452)

@Wayward - Thank you for your feedback as always!

@angelag - This would be another great addition to all of your restore blogs! 

Wayward
Overlord Level 1

(648)

@angelag

I agree that an article with file version restore details would be very useful.  Including information on sync version restores would be helpful for Mozy Sync users. 

As you have indicated in this blog series, there are a number of very effective restore options.  I appreciate the detailed information.

angelag
Community Manager

(723)

@Wayward,

Great idea, thank you!

ShawnL
Community Manager

(452)

@Wayward - Two really good suggestions! I love it!

ShawnL
Community Manager

(452)

angelag
Community Manager

(723)

Hey Community members. I want to take a moment to thank you for reading up on the Instant Download Restores and we hope this helps you understand the process better.

If you have a moment, we'd love to get your feedback on our Community as we gear up to redesign. All you have to do is leave a comment on our Community Feedback Giveaway blog post to enter to win! Thank you so very much for being an essential part of our Community.