Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements
Check out our latest contest. This is open to all of our community members and it's just as easy as all of the others! Take a look at the contest page for more details.
scottc
Employee

(15)

Backing up Intuit data with Mozy

We have had several recent posts that instruct on how to select your data for backup. Related to this topic is backing up Intuit data with MozyPro. While MozyPro provides several backup sets to help you select your data, it is important to understand that our default backup sets traditionally look at data that is located within default windows user profiles. As a customer, this means you can select the “Financial Data” backup set and expect it to locate your Intuit data if it is stored within your windows user profile.

For example the data for my Windows user profile would be located in C:\Users\User Name\ for Windows 7.  Sometimes the data for Quickbooks or Quicken is not located where Mozy can find it, or where you would expect it to be. The purpose of this post is to inform you of this, and assist you in making sure your data is selected for backup.

Quicken
The most recent versions of Quicken store the data folder in C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\Quicken by default. Or for Windows 7 & Vista: C:\Users\User Name\Documents\Quicken

In this scenario Mozy would be backing up your Quicken data if you had selected the “Financial Data” backup set within MozyPro.  This is because the backup set searches the user profile.  In some circumstances your Intuit data folder may be stored outside of your user profile. This can happen if you chose a custom location for your data folder when you installed Quicken, or if you were upgrading from a previous version of the software.  See the following statement from Quicken’s website:

Quicken stores your Quicken folder in C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\Quicken by default. If you installed this or your previous version of Quicken to another location, Quicken leaves your Quicken folder in the location you specified until you reinstall Quicken and specify another location.”  Source: http://quicken.intuit.com/support/help/backup--restore--file-issues/about-the-quicken-folder/GEN8240...

Quickbooks
The default location for QuickBooks data files is not your normal Document folder. QuickBooks configures the location of your data files to a location that is easily shared in the event that you are using a multi-user version of the application. The default location for these data files is shown below:

Windows 7 & Vista
C:\Users\Public\Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks\Company Files

Windows XP
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks\Company Files

In summary, because the data folder for Quickbooks or Quicken is not always located within the user profile, it is important to confirm that MozyPro is backing up your Intuit data files.  The easiest solution is to open the MozyPro settings window and navigate to the “File System Tab”.  Find the folder that contains your Quicken or Quickbooks Data, and make sure you see a check-mark next to it. 

Intuit.JPG

Remember, you might find your data located in the C:\Users\Public profile which is not included in the “Financial Data” backup set.  For this reason you would want to select that data for backup under the “File System” tab.

Comments

Sage ERP X3

Visitor

I've been using Quickbooks for year, but I am not confident on Quicken untill now. I will look forward and get more information for this. Thank you for sharing..

myownasp

Visitor

Great post, between Quickbooks and Quicken I am also confident in Quickbooks, It makes my work more easier and faster than quicken. Regarding with hosting Quickbook hosting here is our new Sage ERP X3.

Tina Staton

Visitor

Great article - really helped.

quickbooks

Visitor

Great article, between Quickbooks and Quicken I prefer Quickbooks. We also do hosting for Quickbooks and Quicken QuickBooks Hosted

Renate Winklareth

Visitor

I can see that all my profile data is backed up. However my harddrive has been corrupted and I downloaded my files on

Mozy but I can't get the Intuit files in the financial seciton to download.

could you help me please?

thank you

Comment on Thread
Be sure to enter a unique name. You can't reuse a name that's already in use.
Be sure to enter a unique email address. You can't reuse an email address that's already in use.
Type the characters you see in the picture above.Type the words you hear.